Saturday, April 10, 2010

Why hold anything back?

There is a piece in the New York Times about people who take pictures of everything – or almost everything they eat and then post the photos on the web (“First Camera, Then Fork”). For many, it has become an obsession/compulsion. And it’s now such a viral fad that N***n, O*****s, S**y, and F**i have all recently released camera models with designated “food” or “cuisine” modes (from now on, I have decided not to spell out any brand name for free). As I read this, I had a Eureka moment: if so many people are taking pictures of what comes in, why not photograph what comes out, too? This would be truly provocative – yet a logical next step toward the full digital self-baring so many seem to pursue. Then my enthusiasm cooled off as I thought some conceptual artist must already be doing this as part of some “project” with a cleverly mystifying name.