Saturday, March 6, 2010

It’s never, ever too late

The BBC showed a cheerful “old” lady who wanted to celebrate memorably her 90th birthday by jumping from a plane (with a parachute). As her overly conservative doctor advised her against it, she settled for a ride on a white water raft (accompanied by a crew). This reminded me of the visceral terror that gripped me as my daughter took me for a ride two years ago on the least extreme adult-size roller coaster at Busch Gardens, the Africa-themed amusement park in Florida proudly carrying the name of the famous beer baron family. It turns out I still have a few decades to learn to appreciate the transcendental exhilaration a properly selected extreme sport can generate for my body and spirits. As the BBC editors probably intended, the Granny Inspiration will now be always with me.